Landscaping can transform an ordinary outdoor space into a perfectly-designed, breathtaking area. However, like any job that involves physical labour, there is also the chance of people getting hurt or mistakes being made during the process. Staying safe and doing things correctly should always be at the top of your priority list whenever you have any gardening or landscape work done on your property.
Before hiring anyone to work on your land, you should be aware of a few crucial tips and steps. Paying attention to these helpful tips will help you avoid disaster and achieve wonderful results.
15 Things To Do To Stay Safe When Landscaping
Staying prepared mentally and physically is always the best way to succeed. Every gardener, landscaper and anyone else who wants to work with their land should be aware of the following fifteen tips:
- Make A Plan. It’s absolutely essential to always make a plan before you take any actions. Having a set plan will help you avoid confusion and stay on track.
- Wear Gloves. You will use your hands a lot when you work with nature, so protecting them is important. Sturdy gardening gloves will protect your hands from cuts, blisters, dangerous chemicals and more.
- Check The Weather. Gardening and landscaping are best done during safe weather, so you may want to check the weather broadcast before planning. You may face trouble if you try to work the land when it’s raining or storming.
- Warm Up Beforehand. If you know you’re going to be doing laborious work, you should always take some time to warm up.You can do this by walking around your area or doing a few stretches before getting to work.
- Use The Right Equipment. Specific equipment is made for a reason, so you should always use the right tools when doing certain things. For example, if you are going to prune a tree or trim your hedges, always use the right landscaping equipment for the job. Specially-designed tools are created to get the job done safely and correctly.
- Use Your Equipment Properly. Furthermore, always make sure you know how to use the tool you are using. Or, if you are smartly trusting your work to hired help, always ensure your hired helpers are using their devices correctly to avoid injury.
- Stay Hydrated. An often overlooked safety tip is to always stay hydrated. It may seem small, but keeping your body hydrated will help you function and perform properly.
- Be Aware Of Everyone Else Around You. If you are working with others or have hired others to work, you should absolutely always be aware of where everyone is. This will help you avoid collisions and unfortunate accidents.
- Be Aware Of Any Animals Around You. Additionally, you must always know where any animals are when landscaping is taking place. If you have pets, securely put them inside your home so they do not bother the workers or get in the way of tools.
- Map Out Your Ideas Before Acting On Them. Even if you have a plan written down, it’s important to visualise your ideas before you act on them. Take the time to go through your property and imagine what your property will look like when altered. Doing this can help you weed out bad ideas and truly determine what you want.
- Keep Any Potentially Dangerous Substances Or Tools Away From Pets Or Children. Substances like pesticides and chemicals can be toxic to both humans and animals. Always ensure any hazardous substances and tools are out of reach of children and pets when landscaping occurs.
- Lift Things Correctly. When you lift heavy items, ensure that you are using the proper motions to avoid hurting your back.
- Protect Yourself From The Sun. Always wear sun protection and protective clothing when working in hot sunlight. Constant direct sunlight can cause painful sunburns and unfortunate health conditions.
- Use A Face Mask When Needed. A face mask can protect you or your hired help from fumes or particles that come from chemicals like pesticides.
- Hire Qualified Help. One of the best ways to stay safe and ensure that you get the best results possible is to hire professional workers. Having help from experienced workers is always a good thing.Where To Go For Expert Landscape And Gardening Services In New Zealand
Where To Go For Expert Landscape And Gardening Services In New Zealand
For all your gardening and landscaping needs, come to us at Shorescape. Our team is dedicated and hard-working; we love what we do and would love to help you!
We have helped New Zealanders make their properties absolutely breathtaking for years now, so we definitely have the experience to assist you. For more interesting information, please get in touch with us through our contact page or at 021-403-343. We’d love to hear from you!
Make sure your garden and landscape projects are done safely and efficiently with us at Shorescape.